
In the first quarter of 2007 Steve Jobs presented a product that has: Phone, iPod, Internet device; all together to form "iPhone". Since then and iPhone has been part of my dreams... night and day. Since I had an iPod shuffle, I was thinking of getting an iPod video. I got bored of my Nokia Communicator 9500 -it's been over 2 years now; had good and bad days with it-. I was almost going to get the new Nokia Communicator E90, but after seeing the iPhone I changed my mind.... will.... almost...
Since the iPhone will be released by end of this month in USA, Q4 2007 in Europe and 2008 in Asia. I started reading more and more about iPhone. Some information made me love it more and some are making me hesitate not to buy iPhone. Now don't get me wrong here, till this moment I'm temptated to buy it with it's limitations. The below is the list of Prons. and Cons. that I found:
Prons:
- Touch Screen iPod.
- Multi-touch screen -Apple Innovation- you should see how they utilize this feature...
- No need for stylus; human finger is all that you need. In windows mobile, people looses the stylus, but iPhone won't face such; unless you have the habit of loosing your fingers then you are an exceptional case.
- Storage of 4 or 8 GB internal.
- Has Mac OS X; not sure though if it's the actual, or modified version to match the phone needs, but Jobs claim that it's an actual Mac OS X
- iPhone’s full QWERTY soft keyboard.
- As Jobs claimed it an actual web browser "Safari". I will explain this soon.
- Sensors: iPhone’s accelerometer detects when you rotate the device from portrait to landscape, then automatically changes the contents of the display, so you immediately see the entire width of a web page or a photo in its proper landscape aspect ratio.
Cons:
- No flash or any other kind of memory cards ports in iPhone; which means you're limited to the internal space. Some might say, hey you will have 4 or 8 GB of space; what are you asking for? will it's also an iPod Video; which means you will be adding videos. Series fans -or freaks as I call them- will know what I mean.
- Apple didn't release any SDK for iPhone -I hope they will change their minds about it-. This means that you will be limited to the internal software inside the iPhone. if you compare iPhone to the other smart phones in the market. All of the others have SDKs which allows 3rd party developers to develop software for all kind of users around the world. I'm sure iPhone will be missing a lot of features. SDK is the solution. But Apple reveled SDK kit for their web browser "Safari"; which will allow developers to develop web applications using "AJAX" technology. It is fine, but it is clear that Apple doesn't want developers to touch iPhone hardware. To think of it more, web applications mean limiting the developer to Safari and not allowing him/her to squeeze the juice out of the iPhone hardware. But I hope they will change their minds at a later stage.
- iPhone can be sync. with PC and Mac but ONLY using iTunes. So what about my Calendar and contacts info, where will iTunes read them from? In Mac, it's easy as Calendar and Contacts are centralized and ALL applications depends those. But in stupid windows each application has it's own contacts and calendar, so from where will iTunes read them? plus that I hate iTunes and the only reason I have it in my PC is for my iPod.
- As Jobs claimed that smart phones have "baby Internet"; which he meant that smart phone browser can't display all web pages as those browsers don't support all kind of web codes and applications. And his Safari is an actual full advanced browser, so it will open any kind of web pages. But just few days back; lots of blogs including some from Apple staff blogs claimed that flash won't work on iPhone Safari!!!! WTH... lots of web pages depend on flash to browse in them, stream videos and such. I guess Jobs was not telling the whole truth about "actual web browser".
To think of it more, it's the first experience for Apple in the mobile market; comparing to the other matured brands like Nokia and SonyEricsson. Apple will be gambling with it's iPhone. They never presented some features that already exists and heavily used in other smart phones like profiles. And I have this big feeling that iPhone will have some hardware issues like screen getting scratched easily and such... I was also surprised about Safari limitation with flash, but I guess Adobe might create a plug-in for iPhone Safari for flash, but who knows what will show up next. But I'm sure Apple will success with it's sales, as so far there are over 1 million users in USA that called to reserve the iPhone.... wow
Ok that was a long writing, I hope you had a good sleep while reading. But I needed to share my thoughts with you guys. what do you think? are you getting an iPhone? again... for me with those limitations I'm still tempted to buy one; but won't be getting one till Oct or Nov.
So please share your thoughts with us.
5 comments:
Thanks for the detailed insight. It is so fascinating how a not-shipped-yet product has such a cult following all over the world.
I wouldn't really be eager to get one. But who knows what will happen when you start pitching for it with one in your hand :)
Gadgets, gadgets and gadgets, so expensive and you probably only use 60% or 70% of the total functionality over the first couple of days because you're excited, then it all goes downhill from there until it's only messaging and ususal voice calls!
It's going to take some serious convincing for me to get this. :)
@BuZain,
it is quite fascinating, IMO... it's because of the powerfull presentation it had ;)
@Shark Hunter,
it depends on how to defind 'expensive'... you see smart phones these days cost around 200BD, a video iPod will cost over 100BD, so if you buy a smart phone and an iPod will cost over 300BD.
iPhone will be -based on Steve Jobs- between 200 and 220 BD.... but you are right, it will depends on your needs to justify your cost.
I need an iPod video and a new mobile... that MIGHT suite me :)
I think the delay in iPhone availability here is a Good Thing (t). You will have time to read all about it and it's gotchas.
One thing to keep in mind is Arabic Support. Even though I almost always write my SMS in English or Aranglish, I get many Arabic SMS msgs, which my stupid SonyEricsson M600i does not display!
As for a video iPod, BuZain, you DO NEED ONE!! :-) Especially to download and store your pics from your D40. I used it like a portable hard drive.
@Ayman, I have my lovely PSP which does all the tricks you expect from a little puppet :) I watch videos of TV shows, documentaries from YouTube, vlogs, and listen to music, podcasts, browse pictures, and of course play games on it. And if i want to, I can run homebrew software on it too.
BTW, i have a D80 and I'm lovin' it.
Post a Comment